UPDATE!! 2012/04/01 The download links are dead and the developer is away from the project (temporarily). Guess this is just a epic again until he gets back or until some who have downloaded the zips previously creates some mirrors for them.
I get many requests for overclocking kernels for stock Samsung firmwares for our little Galaxy Pop/Mini GT-S5570 smartphone almost every other day. There have been many questions such as, 'How do I overclock my galaxy mini with stock firmware?" and/or "Are there any overclocking kernels for stock gingerbread?" and it felt so bad to simply reply "No, you can't" or "No, not yet". And finally today, thanks to the developer, godell, I have got a positive response for all those questions mentioned above. Yes, what you had longed for such a long period of time has come true and now it is possible to overclock your stock gingerbread rom. In this article, I will present you with overclocking kernels for your stock rom and provided you step by step instructions on installing and using these overclocked kernels on your device.
Here is what the developer has to say in this regard,
"If you want to overclock but do not want to use a custom rom, this is the right way."So, basically if you want to overclock without having to install or flash any of the custom roms then this article is the one you ought to go through. And, before we really move on to flashing these kernels on your galaxy mini/pop with stock rom, let's check out some of the features of these kernels.
- A wide range of Max. frequencies to select from upto 864 MHz. (Note: Not all devices can be overclocked upto the max. frequency available.)
- Seven Governors to choose from (smartassv2, ondemand, performance, interactiveX, conservative, userspace, and powersave).
- 6 I/O Schedulers (deadline, cfq, sio, BFQ, vr, and noop).
- 50% AHB-BUS
- Ramswap Enabled
- Rooted Kernel including busybox and su binary.
So, these were the features of the kernels that you are about to flash on your device. Please see the
baseband version of your firmware in About Phone Settings and then choose the right kernel from below that is for your firmware. These kernels are to be flashed using stock recovery (no need of custom recovery) and currently the firmwares with these basebands (viz. S5570LWMKPJ, S5570LWMKPO, S5570DDKQ7, S5570DXKPD, S5570XWKS2 and S5570BVKQ4) are supported.
Warning : Since this will root your device too, it will void your warranty. Also, only flash the kernel that is specific for your firmware. Flashing kernel from other firmware basebands might harm your device.
Disclaimer : Do It At Your Own Risk! Also, do a backup of your data and apps before proceeding.
Instructions to Flash Overclocking Kernels :
1. Download the edited boot.img or kernel from the downloads section for Galaxy Mini at Roms and Utilities page. (Make sure you download the one that matches your baseband version in the name.)
2. Copy the downloaded file to the (root directory) of your sdcard.
3. Reboot your phone to stock recovery mod (Press Home + Power button).
4. Select Apply Update From SD Card option.
5. Choose (with the Home button) the file which you copied earlier to your sd card. [It is the file that you downloaded from above.]
6. Wait till it finishes flashing/installing the kernel.
7. Reboot you device when everything is done.
That's all you have successfully flashed the kernel update on your device and are now ready to overclock your device.
How to set/adjust CPU Frequencies after flashing the kernels?
1. Download No Frills CPU control app or Set CPU or similar app of your choice from market.
2. Select the desired Max CPU Frequency you want in Max. clock freq. field.
3. Also, select a governor in Governor field. [If you don't know which one to choose then go for smartassv2 governor].
4. Select an I/O Scheduler (sio recommended).
5. If you want the settings to remain intact even if you reboot your device, then put a tick mark beside Set on Boot option. [Be careful, only select this option if your device is stable at the adjusted frequencies.]
6. When everything is done, close the app and use your device normally.
And, once you are done, then you are done with it. Now enjoy your overclocked stock firmware with no lags and smooth performance. If your baseband is not mentioned above or if you can't find overclocking kernels for your device then you can request one for yours. Post the link for your boot.img file along with your firmware details at the comments below or at this development thread at xda-forums. Also, don't forget to thank the developer at that thread for his amazing work.
Further more, please do post a comment below along with your firmware details so that other users can know if the overclocking kernels worked fine for you or not. Don't hesitate to ask for help if needed.