One should never comprise in matters that involve critical things such as your own privacy. But, the developer of the apps can set their own permissions to the apps they develop and are able to access your private data which raises privacy issues for the users. While changing permissions and removing those that are not needed form any app can solve the privacy issue but it causes another problem - most applications force close with changes in permissions. PDroid comes handy in such situation.
So, wouldn't you want to control your device and preserve your privacy? I am sure you would. Then, PDroid is just what you need. PDroid let's you block access to information of you choice and more of all it doesn't causes force close. With this you can take control of access to your private data by the applications you install. The developer of this app, Svyat, believes that every user has the right for using any application without worrying about their privacy.
PDroid allows blocking access for any installed application to the following data separately:
|PDroid Privacy Protection|
- Device ID (IMEI/MEID/ESN)
- Subscriber ID (IMSI)
- SIM serial (ICCID)
- Phone and mailbox number
- Incoming call number
- Outgoing call number
- GPS location
- Network location
- List of accounts (including your google e-mail address)
- Account auth tokens
- Call logs
- Browser bookmarks and history
- System logs
- SIM info (operator, country)
- Network info (operator, country)
- Applicaitons do NOT crash when access to private data is blocked (unlike with Permissions Denied or Cyanogen Mod)
- Fine-grained tuning of access to private data.
- No background service needed.
- Very small memory footprint (~700KB).
- No impact on battery life.
- No impact on performance (5ms overhead on access to private data; yes, that's 0.005s).
- 100% reliable unlike ROOT applications (LBE), which need to start their background service on boot (see android underground to learn why this is an issue).
- No ROOT required for the app to run.
- No Android permissions required for the app to run.
These are all the features that you get with PDroid app and all these for free. So, what are you waiting for? Download latest PDroid app from below and take control of your private data. But, first you will need to flash a PDroid patch file via Clockwork Mod Recovery. You can find more information on making a patch file for your rom at this article.
Once you can make a PDroid patch for your custom rom by following the instructions at this article then, flash it on your device via Clockwork Mod Recovery and then install the PDroid app from below and you are done with it. Now whenever you install an application a notification will be shown asking you to manage (allow or deny) the access to various data. Below are few screen-shots of this app that will give you fair idea about working of this PDroid Privacy Protection app.
Download PDroid Privacy Protection :
|Notifications to configure privacy settings.|
|PDroid App Preferences|
|Privacy Setting For Angry Birds game.|
|Privacy Settings For FB - Custom values for app.|
|Angry Birds Access Blocked Information. No Force Close.|
- Android Market : https://market.android.com/details?id=com.privacy.pdroid