How to Flash a Custom Rom in Samsung Galaxy Pop/Mini GTS5570?
Samsung Galaxy Pop/Mini gts5570 is an incredible smart phone that ships with stock Froyo 2.2.1 rom. But, it can be tweaked according to our preference and even a new rom/firmware can be installed to make it look more beautiful as well as to improve its performance. The quest for the development of custom roms for Galaxy pop have just began and there are many more custom roms to come in future. However, popular custom roms till now are emanoN rom, Cyanogen Mod and Andro-id.
In this article I will describe in details the method to install/flash a custom rom/kernel to your galaxy pop/mini phone. Please follow the instructions properly as failure to do so may lead to a bricked phone. All the steps written below are mandatory. Before continuing it is recommended that you backup your applications, data, contacts, etc and keep them in safe place (computer or in sdcard). I’m not responsible for any loss of data and applications.
1. First of all you should be on gingerbread (aka android 2.3) operating system to install a custom rom. So, if you don’t have gingerbread installed on your device please read ‘Upgrading to Samsung Galaxy Pop/Mini to Gingerbread 2.3.4/2.3.6’ article to install it manually.
2. [Optional] Root your galaxy pop/mini smart phone. If your phone is not rooted already please read the ‘Rooting Galaxy Pop/Mini GTS5570 Running Gingerbread 2.3.4’ article to root it now.
3. Flash Clock Work Mod Recovery to replace Samsung’s recovery. Clock Work Mod recovery (aka CWM recovery) is required to flash custom roms as well as to do nandroid backup. You can download it from here.
4. Get yourself a good custom rom of your choice ported for Samsung Galaxy Pop/Mini GTS5570. You can find download links for Andro-id v3.2 and Cyanogen Mod 7 roms at the bottom of this article. I recommend that you Flash Cyanogen Mod 7 as this is the best custom rom for galaxy pop/mini ever developed.
5. Put your newly downloaded zip file in root directory of your sdcard.
6. Reboot your device in recovery mode. Use volume keys for navigation and home key to select an option while you are in recovery.
7. If you want you can do a nandroid backup of your current rom through the option ‘backup and restore’ in CWM recovery.
8. Wipe data and cache from the options ‘wipe data/reset’ and ‘wipe cache partition’ respectively.
9. Select the option ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option. (Be careful! As most people mistake this step and select ‘apply update.zip’ option in clockwork mod recovery’s main menu which leads to many problems.)
10. Choose the zip file you downloaded and copied to your sd card earlier and select it.
11. Wait till it finishes installing your custom rom. Wipe data and cache again and reboot your device.
That is all! You have successfully flashed a custom rom/kernel in your precious galaxy pop/mini gts5570 smart phone. If you don’t like your new custom rom you can revert to original gingerbread rom using the procedure you followed at the beginning. If you have followed the above steps carefully you probably won’t have any problem as I have tested them on my galaxy pop gts5570 smart phone and it worked fine. But, still if any problem arises please feel free to ask in comments.
For more information please visit these links:
Download Links for custom roms/kernels for Samsung galaxy pop/mini gts5570:
- Download Andro-id v3.2.zip
- Download Cyanogenmod 7.1.0 RC1 tass KANG signed.zip
- Download Cyanongenmod 7.1.0 RC1 oc748_audio_video.zip (Overclocked at 748 MHZ, Audio and Video bug fixed)
UPDATE!!!If you want to flash Cyanogen Mod v7.1.0 RC1 in your galaxy pop/mini gts5570 go through this 'Flashing Cyanogenmod Rom on GTS5570' article.
Still confused how to flash a rom? Follow the links below for specific tutorials on specific custom roms.